I Am Travelling Abroad – Do I Need To Get vaccinated And Tested For Hepatitis?

Travel is basically the motion of individuals between different, often remote, geographical locations. Travel can usually be one-way or round trip, with or without luggage and can usually be one way or multiple ways. The term “travel” can also refer to an activity that makes use of transport, such as moving, hunting, fishing, riding, soccer, basketball etc. This article talks about travel in general, but refers particularly to the subject of air travel.

The U.S. Department of State’s webpage on International Travel requires all travelers to be thoroughly checked in and fully vaccinated before embarking on travel. There are also specific International Air Safety Requirements that apply to passengers who will be flying to Canada and international passengers coming into the United States from Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, Central America and the Caribbean. For travelers coming from abroad to the United States those requirements include proof of immunization against diseases that are transmittable by blood, face recognition, receipt of IHP-based vaccination within 90 days of departure and a printed immunization card that can be presented in person, by mail or in an email. All other passengers traveling to Canada are required to obtain a passport and IHP-based immunization at the customs office. There are additional IHP-based requirements for passengers travelling to certain parts of Mexico and for the air travel between Canada and the United States.

If you are travelling outside of the United States, whether by air, sea or land (by road), and are arriving into the United States through a Canadian airport you need to have had all of your required vaccinations and received a positive airworthiness certificate from the airline or airport where you are arriving into the United States. If you are travelling between the United States and Canada then the regulations relating to passengers travelling on domestic flights are the same as those for travellers coming into the United States. If you are travelling from abroad to the United States, a valid passport is required. Your traveller insurance should cover all aspects of your travel whether it is a domestic or international flight, however, there is normally an extra charge if it includes air travel. It is important to remember to carry a copy of your medical records with you so that when you do apply for a medical insurance coverage in the United States, you have a record of any preventative diseases that you may have been immunized against.